When you consider starting graduate studies, the cost of the programs is possibly the factor that you worry the most. But if you have a remarkable academic background and your leadership skills are among your personal strengths, you should consider applying for a scholarship.
Canada is well known for being one of the most popular destinations for students from around the world because of the high educational level of their universities and institutions. Now, let’s talk about one of the most interesting Canadian scholarship programs, the Vanier CGS, by taking a look to a general overview, the diversity of disciplines covered and the conditions for candidacies:
As an effort from the Canadian Government for turning the country into a leading model of higher education and research, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships have been offering excellent and acknowledged programs since 2008.
More than 160 scholarships per year are assigned to students coming from Canada and foreign countries, which are given access to doctoral-level studies. With three-year duration, the programs cover the total annual costs that reach the amount of $ 50.000.
Areas of study
There are several disciplines included in the scholarship programs, such as Health Sciences, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and Engineering, giving a wide range of options for candidates to apply for.
As the main goal of these programs is to reach the highest levels of excellence, nominees have to meet certain conditions that show their leadership skills and academic achievements.
Take a quick look to what you need to comply to be considered as a candidate for a Vanier scholarship:
- Be sure you’re only being nominated by just one Canadian institution, no more. Also, that institution must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- This must be your first doctoral-level course. You can combine it with a MA degree but only the doctoral part would be covered by the scholarship.
- You must be willing to take a doctoral degree right after the award results are announced, that is, in the next academic period. It can be a PhD or a combination with MA or MD but in this case, the PhD portion is only considered for the scholarship.
- If you have already started your doctoral studies, there’s a maximum of months that you must not exceed before applying to the scholarship.
- First-class average is something you’ve got to have in your portfolio, at least for the last two years of your career.
- No previous or current doctoral-level scholarships from the same program are permitted if you’re going to apply now.
Vanier CGS encourage excellence and improves the nominee’s potential for achieving high standards in learning and research.